The Hopewell Valley Green Team and community would like to thank Sustainable Jersey and the PSEG Foundation for their support of our Fall 2020 and Winter 2021 Styrofoam collections as well as the summer 2020 special recycling collections through TerraCycle’s Zero Waste boxes!
STYROFOAM COLLECTION (packaging blocks, sheets and coolers)
Our last collection event was held on September 11, 2021. It was a big success: over 100 households brought Styrofoam and other items for us to divert from the landfill and reuse/recycle.
In case you missed the event and have a large amount of Styrofoam, you might want to contact our drop-off partner Princeton Moulding (see below). If someone is already planning a trip to Somerville, or if neighbors would like to combine their loads, perhaps they would like to deliver their styrofoam on their own.
Princeton Moulding Group, 76 Fourth Street, Somerville NJ, 08876 Google Map
(908) 291-1180 Call first to make sure they are open (their hours can be sporadic)
Collection events at the PENNINGTON FARMERS MARKET:
The remaining 2021 dates are September 25 and October 30.
#5 PLASTIC CONTAINERS(not accepting these currently – sorry!)
- CELL PHONES, MP3 players, chargers, digital cameras, tablets, and Bluetooth devices – once filled, the collection box will go to The Wireless Alliance and the value of the devices will benefit the Pennington Farmers Market.
- BRITA AND PUR WATER FILTERS
- DENTAL CARE PRODUCTS (toothpaste tubes with cap on, toothbrushes, floss containers, etc.)
- STICK DEODORANT CONTAINERS
- WINE BOTTLE CORKS (real, not synthetic)
- CDs and DVDs (discs and plastic cases) Note: please remove paper inserts and recycle them with your regular curbside collection.
- BUTTON CELL BATTERIES (from hearing aids, calculators, etc.) Note: please put tape over the positive ends.
- USED TENNIS BALLS & BASEBALLS
- NEWSPAPERS – we will donate them to the Mercer County Wildlife Center
Last Saturday of the month June through October (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.) organized by the Hopewell Valley Green Team. Bring everything to our tents at Pennington Farmers Market held at Rosedale Mills, 101 Route 31 North, Pennington.
Saturday, October 9, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 12 noon
Sponsored by the Mercer County Improvement Authority. Location: Lot 4 / 651 South Broad Street, Trenton, across from the Mercer County Administration Building. Learn more
ELECTRONICS RECYCLING & PAPER SHREDDING
Hopewell Township residents ONLY.
Saturday, October 2, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Location: Hopewell Township Public Works Building (203 Washington Crossing-Pennington Road, Titusville). Learn more
ELECTRONICS & HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE COLLECTIONS
Saturday, September 11, 2021 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Sponsored by the Mercer County Improvement Authority. Location: Dempster Fire School (350 Lawrence Station Rd, Lawrence). Learn more
Year-round, organized by the Hopewell Valley Regional School District. Collected items include:
- clothing (clean, dry)
- shoes (pairs)
- accessories (including hats, purses, bags, belts, etc.)
- home linens (sheets, towels, curtains, etc.)
- click here for list of acceptable and non-acceptable items
Materials can be old and worn but should be clean and dry (old stains not a problem). Materials are sorted by Wearable Collections. 95% of the materials will be reused or recycled. Wearable Collections pays by the pound and proceeds benefit the PTOs of all schools in the district. All six Hopewell Valley Schools have collection bins on outside locations open to the public. Learn more
In January 2020, The Washington Post published an article about the industry of recycled clothing with quotes from the CEO of Wearable Collections, Adam Baruchowitz. Read it here: whats-in-your-landfill-lots-of-textiles
PRIOR EVENTS ORGANIZED BY THE GREEN TEAM:
STUFF THE TRUCKS!
Saturday September 7, 2019, 12 noon – 3 pm, organized by the Hopewell Valley Green Team. Click here to see flyer about the event.
→ Green Team truck collecting Styrofoam, wine corks and CDs/DVDs;
→ Paper Shredding truck;
→ Habitat for Humanity ReStore truck collecting household goods and construction materials. Click for a decision flowchart to help determine if your material is acceptable. Learn about the ReStore.
All three at the same location in Pennington: Toll Gate Grammar School, 275 South Main Street.
This event was co-sponsored by the Pennington & Hopewell Township Environmental Commissions and the Hopewell Valley Green Team. All Hopewell Valley residents and businesses welcome! Sign up for an e-notice by sending a request to email@example.com